EMPIRE MEDIA NG || Keep It Locked 🔐

Professionalism; Our Watchword!

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Pessimism Mounts Ahead Of Historic Trump-Kim Nuclear Summit



President Donald Trump's spur-of-the-moment decision to agree to a face-to-face meeting with North Korea leader Kim Jong Un represented an unprecedented opportunity, but also a huge risk, most recently highlighted by a case of cold feet on both sides.

Anticipation about the June 12 meeting in Singapore is turning to pessimism, as the complexity of the initiative, the stark divides between Washington and Pyongyang, and inconsistencies in the White House's approach to the meeting all become clear.

First, the Kim government threatened to pull out, blaming the "repugnance" of national security adviser John Bolton and his nuclear disarmament schemes.

Now Trump has switched from dreaming of Nobel prizes to warning that there is a "very substantial chance" that the meeting will not happen next month.

Trump is also speculating that China's President Xi Jinping, who he called a "world class poker player" on Tuesday, may be behind Kim's new hard line.

The atmosphere has soured from the euphoric optimism with which Trump welcomed home three US prisoners from North Korea two weeks ago to doubt and uncertainty.

There seems a good chance that the challenge coins minted by the White House Communications Agency to commemorate the summit may get left on the shelf.

"If it doesn't happen, maybe it'll happen later. Maybe it'll happen at a different time, but we will see," Trump said, alongside South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the White House on Tuesday.

So what is behind the sudden outburst of pessimism about what would be the most spectacular diplomatic summit in decades?

One explanation is that both the United States and North Korea, as they get past the initial wave of enthusiasm after Trump agreed to meet Kim, are being reminded of just how intricate their differences are.

The idea that Kim would give up a nuclear arsenal his country has spent decades acquiring and that he sees as the guarantor of his dynastic rule always struck many people who have dealt with the North Koreans as farfetched.

The fact that goal seems so distant and could take years of painstaking negotiations to achieve after a Kim-Trump summit may be what is fueling rising skepticism among some White House officials that the summit will take place.

It's conceivable that Kim may be realizing, as North Korea invited journalists to watch the destruction of a nuclear test site Tuesday, exactly what the kind of aggressive verification measures the US is demanding would mean for his country.

"There is a whole lot of sites that are going to have to be shut down (and) inspected. This is going to take months and years," Michael Anton, Trump's former National Security Council spokesman, said on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

The first sign of trouble came when Kim made an unexpected visit to China earlier this month to meet Xi and said he was aiming for a "phased and synchronous" process that would offer North Korea step-by-step rewards for renouncing its nuclear program.

That is exactly the approach that Trump says failed for previous administrations. This White House is telling the North Koreans they will get a bonanza of US private-sector investment only once the nuclear program is completely dismantled.

Then last week, Bolton went on television to tout his vision for a Libya-style export by North Korea of its nuclear weapons program -- without upfront incentives.

But when Kim hears Libya he thinks of the assassination of its longtime dictator, Moammar Gadhafi, after a NATO-led air operation in 2011 that may not have happened had he not previously given away a nuclear program that was far more rudimentary than North Korea's.

In a bid to keep the summit on track, Trump hurriedly said last week that he was not contemplating using a Libya model for North Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment